Monday, March 5, 2007

Well Duh...

I was in my room this morning after taking my morning shower, wrapped in a towel. All three kids were safely tucked away playing in the girls room at the other end of the hallway. Even though they were so far away I still did the "drop your towel and throw on the skivvies and other foundation garments" mad dash, lest I be caught in my "all together". Then it dawned on me. Why not just close my bedroom door which was standing wide open? After all, wouldn't that be the much more obvious way to get the privacy I wanted? Now before you snicker and make fun of my obvious lack of common sense, hear the epiphany I got from this situation...

Isn't this what we do everyday? We shield our children's eyes and ears from the things we do not desire them to see nor hear when we could simply just close the door to it. I am guilty of that very thing. I monitor what they watch on certain television channels to make sure that they do not inadvertently see what we call in our house, "an unacceptable show". I make sure my "Shape" magazine with the bikini clad model on the cover is safely hidden under another periodical. I cringe when I read something in a book out loud to my children that they may not quite be ready for yet.

Why? This is MY house. No one but Mr. Clean or I have any human authority to tell us what will and will not be done in our own home. Why monitor the television instead of simply closing the door on it and shutting it off? Why hide the magazine when I can rip off the offending cover and still read the information inside (after all, I did pay for it)? Why read a certain book to my kids that they are not ready for simply because it may be part of a curriculum?

We get so caught up in protecting our children while in our homes that we forget to take the time to simply make our houses the safe refuge from the world for which it was meant. Tomorrow morning maybe I will just shut my bedroom door instead of worrying about getting caught with my "towel down".

No comments: