Monday, July 14, 2008

If It's Worth Having, It's Worth Working For...

Saturday we were invited to a birthday party to which we happily went. Another guest and her husband were there and I was saddened by their interaction with one another.

Upon their arrival their foster daughter (who we know) complained that the couple had fought "all the way there". Their youngest children seemed to stress them out easily and they took it out on one another. Afterward she griped to another guest about her husband.

I am not the perfect wife. I get the occasional bee in my bonnet and have to smash it, and I can flare up like a greasy grill (we have one, it can be spectacular). Mr. Clean has gotten mad a time or two, but it is rare. However, watching this couple gave me the distinct impression that this was their status quo. They seemed miserable in one another's company. That is what made me sad.

I can honestly say that life with Mr. Clean is pretty easy and stress free. We tend to balance each other out when it comes to sour moods and we have a great time together. I thoroughly enjoy his company and have a lot of respect for him. We laugh a lot and just have fun. But there are "those days", and when they happen we work very hard to work it out and not drag out a tiff and make it last the day (or worse). Our marriage is simply worth the effort.

I am not trying to be sanctimonious or self righteous. I do not have all the answers and goof life up quite a bit, but I have seen many marriages in my own family on rocky ground or fail outright and I am determined that will not happen with mine. I think that has a lot to do with how I choose to act daily and the attitude I choose to have. I cannot control Mr. Clean's actions and thankfully, I would not change many anyway, but I can control mine and as long as I act accordingly, I hope my marriage will continue to be as sweet as it has been thus far.

4 comments:

Susie said...

Amen! Well said!!! :o)

Anonymous said...

I just started reading the book I bought at the homeschool convention, Home-Making by J.R. Miller. It was originally written in 1882 and it is beautifully written. I've only read the first two chapters, the wedded life and the husband's part, but it is so great. If the husband and wife are both doing their part in the marriage, it is so much easier to have a peaceful, happy marriage.

BamaGirl said...

Hi, I'm wanting to use the phrase "If it's worth having, it's worth working for", but I'm having trouble finding who said it or where it came from to properly cite it. Since it's on your blog, just wondering if you had any ideas that could help me?
Thanks,
Allison Yeager

Angel at Aduladi' said...

Sorry Allison, but I had no luck finding any official accreditation for that phrase either.

My guess is that it is one that has been used in so many variations, by so many people that there is no traceable origin. Kind of like, "the pot calling the kettle black". There is no way to trace that phrase either, it has just been around forever.

Besides, if you ever did find someone quoted as saying it, I'll bet you a million bucks that person stole it from their father, LOL!