Monday, April 7, 2008

Boycott Happy

This Absolut print ad has apparently caused a huge uproar in the States, so much so that the makers of Absout have pulled the ad. Here is the kicker. The ad did not even run in the United States. It was an ad for Mexican consumers.


Frankly, I think it is a brilliant and quite pithy ad. The ad obviously represents Mexico before the Mexican/American war of 1846 and if you are Mexican, it would be a quite symbolic ad full of Mexican pride. That's it. nothing more. Just an ad to sell Vodka, yet us "boycott loving" Americans had to get in on the act and complain.

Let me make it clear. I am a proud, proud, proud, American. I love my country with all of her faults and quirks. I also have personally boycotted certain companies that affiliate with organizations I abhor. But to boycott a particular brand of vodka because a Mexican ad, portrayed Mexican pride and history? Give me a break.

Absolut's blog site has received more than a thousand comments since the ad campaign was launched a few weeks ago, with many calling for boycotts of the Swedish company.

"I have poured the remainder of my Absolut bottles down the sink," says one blogger.

I have a 13 year old bottle of vodka we bought on our honeymoon which is more than 3/4 full, since we are not big drinkers. Maybe I will send it to the poor blogger who was forced to poor their Absolut down the drain. I better check and see what the brand is first however.

Good grief. It makes me want to go and buy a bottle of Absolut, just out of principle, but it would probably just languish in the pantry for another 13 years.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an American I am extremely proud of my Mexican heritage. We are proud hard working people. European Americans have forgotten there heritage and are in denial about the history of this nation. Thousands of Native Americans were slaughtered during the push west. Mexican territory was stolen for the European American dream of “Manifest Destiny". Can we change that history by rolling back the clock and giving Mexico back Southwest America? No. So why are the European Americans so mad about a simple ad? Could it be guilt? I am a proud American of Mexican ancestry and would not want to live anywhere else in the world but I am embarrassed when my fellow Americans show there ignorance about the past. I am running to Costco for a case of Absolut right now.

Heather in WI said...

No comment on this story, but any thoughts about this less known one?

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080407/nym012.html?.v=101

{shudder}

~Heather

Angel at Aduladi' said...

HAVE MERCY! I knew there was a reason I don't drink (much), LOL! I am going back to sticking my head in the sand now...

Angel at Aduladi' said...

Thanks for the head's up Heather, I had not seen that article! That last comment was for you. No real surprise there is it, unfortunately.

Heather in WI said...

LOL, I know. I was ... um, do people still use the word flabbergasted? I was flabbergasted! I'll stick with my Cabernet!