Monday, October 29, 2007

Oops!

I pulled out the kids' math workbooks today and flipped through to see what lesson we had left off with. K.Z.'s still had a pencil in the book making it easy to find. Xena's however, left me a bit befuddled. There was nothing written in it and I know we had been working in it for a while.

Both kids are using Singapore Math, but different levels. Xena is working on Earlybird Kindergarten, which she loves and in which, is doing very well. The thing that throws me about the Kindergarten Singapore math workbooks are that there are 4 of them for the year. Singapore Math breaks the higher grades up by 1A and 1B, 2A and 2B, corresponding to the grade level. You get the picture. Not Kindergarten. There are books 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B.

This makes perfect sense since some Kindergarteners do not need to start with the most basic book and can start in a later workbook, but I wanted Xena to start from square one and bought all four books. She zoomed through the first one and we were on to the second fairly quickly and had gotten half way through it already. Yet, nothing was written in it. It was like the Twilight Zone.

Then I had a "DOH" moment and looked for the other workbooks. Apparently I had completely goofed up and skipped the second book (1B) and started her right in on the third book (2A). The cool part is that she is doing so well in math that neither one of us noticed the hiccup in the lessons.

I guess she will be done with math either very early in the year or I will start the 1st grade workbook with her a bit sooner than I had planned (like in 1st grade!). Perhaps I should slow her down a bit!

No comments: