Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Just Go With the Flow

I have never been one to like the leadership role. I will help anyone in any capacity, but I have no need to be in charge. Just stick me in the background, tell me what needs to be done and I will do it. Mr. Clean has the same personality.

That's not to say we do not have our own definite opinions, we do, but we tend not to be that outspoken and know that we can just change our personal situations if we find the leadership in any given spot undesirable. We just like to go with the flow.

I have been in two different leadership positions this year that just prove to me that I still like the background. The first was with an international mother's organization. I was on the board as a treasurer (a role I adored, numbers never disagree!) and when the fiscal year ended there needed to be new President as the old one had no desire to re-run (nor anyone else). Against my better judgment I was convinced to go for it.

The year was successful but as I am not one to like confrontation, when uncomfortable issues came up between members, it zapped me emotionally. My theory; just be happy, darn it! I kind of surmised that because not all the members are believers that they would not have the same outlook on things and behaviors that I would. No big deal. It's a secular organization.

The second situation is with believers and that makes it tougher. We are in a group with people we love and are officially co-leaders. Unofficially we have no role and it is a struggle for us. Since however, we are "go with the flow" kind of people we have never stepped up and questioned any decisions being made without our thoughts and/or consent.

It probably looks to the other group members and leaders that we don't care or mind what happens, but we do and it's a hard situation to swallow and address. So pray that we prayerfully and logically access the situation. We do not want to damage any relationships, but we think it may be time to officially step down and possible remove ourselves completely.

3 comments:

Samantha from Colonial Curve Cottage said...

I hate confrontation sister friend and I hear your pain in it too. The closer to 40 I get, the more I realize that, what matters most is what God thinks about the situation. And...will I have contact with these people in say 5 years. Will what I say and do affect my walk with Christ? So in that spirit, I've overcome my discomfort with boldness. Transparency as I like to call it. My ultimate goal in life is to be transparent. That way, there are no surprises, nothing to gossip about. Its all out there. Maybe thats too public, but, it stops alot of 'stuff' before it starts. God didn't call us to be a doormat for Christ, He called us to be a witness...try this...if God picked you up out of your life (like a mamma lion carries her young) and dropped Jesus in your spot, would people notice? In my case, they sure would. How Christ like am I? I want to come to a place in my life that people wouldn't notice..I'll spend my entire life trying this and never get there...but thats my goal. They'll know Him by the fruit of my spirit. Too deep? Yeh, but...it beats conforming to the world. I'd rather conform to Christ. Now ask me if I got it right yet. I'm a work in progress, and I know that Jesus loves me right where I am.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Mrs. Sam said.
We start out with little steps. Like last night at the soccer game and how you had the incident with your car. You did the right thing and made an impression on the people behind you.

Anonymous said...

Also, today. You are doing the right thing by going this morning too.