Friday, February 23, 2007

When Your Heart Can't Stand It...

I just received a couple e-mails from our church with a prayer request. One of our congregant's son, a little two year old named Ethan, has been sick for a while (flu like) and no one knows why. Upon arrival at the hospital he was lethargic and his extremities were cold so they had a machine pumping his non-functioning heart. Now he is in surgery with a hole in his heart (caused by a catheter that was misrouted) as they are trying to save this little boys life. This morning no one expected Ethan to live. Now, it is touch and go and they will not even know if the surgery has been successful until Monday, provided he lives that long.

I simply cannot imagine what my sister in Christ (his mother) must be going through. My only experience losing a child was with three miscarriages and although they were very real and extremely emotionally painful, it simply cannot compare to the possibility of losing a child with whom you have held, kissed and formed a relationship. My heart hurts so badly for this young family (Ethan is one of three siblings and his mother is expecting baby number 4).

I know that we serve a sovereign King and that He held Ethan in His hands long before Ethan was a baby in his mother's womb. I also know that our Savior loves Ethan much more than any human possibly can, but this still stings and I cannot bear thinking about what his parents are feeling.

Pray for them, pray for Ethan and pray that there is edification from this situation. The thought that keeps running through my mind is, "I will praise you in this storm"...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just said a prayer. Let me know how he is doing.