Thursday, February 1, 2007

The Key"stoned" State

"Oh Pennsylvania! How I can't stand thee"

This is my new state song for the not so great state of Pennsylvania. Now the state in general isn't so bad. Four seasons, lots of lush forests, farmland and a couple cities to romp around in and do touristy things. The people are pleasant and I have a lot of friends here. The government however.... humph!

Now I promise not to go into a tirade about the Governor or school taxes or all of the other things that make me cringe, but this I just had to pop on the soapbox about because, well, it is so stupid.

I received a 1099-G from the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue, which is necessary to file my Federal taxes, indicating I had gotten a $208.00 refund back from the state last year . That in itself is no big deal, except that the refund was for 2005 not 2006. It even said so on the 1099-G. Again, not a huge big deal for me, someone slipped up and sent 2005's 1099-G instead of 2006. I did not get a refund last year (I owed the state $2.00) so I ignored it and filed my taxes without it.

Out of curiosity however I went to the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue website to see if they had caught the error yet. Sure enough a big press release was on the site explaining the error and the fact that the corrected forms would be in our hands no later than February 9th. Fabulous! They were on top of things! Anyone can make this kind of mistake. It's big, but they are on top of things right?

WRONG! I got my corrected form today. I opened it up and like I had said, there was a big fat zero in the right box since I did not get a refund last year. So far, so good! Reporting tax year... 2004. Once again they sent out the wrong form and now it is really incorrect and not just a duplicate of a previous year. For the tax year of 2004 I did get a refund. $208.00.

Sing with me.... "Oh Pennsylvania! How I can't stand thee".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny, not! I can't believe they did that. I can't wait until we start our taxes.