Thursday, July 5, 2007

I Am Old

That may be an odd thing for a 33 year old to say, but let me pull you back to a time, not really that long ago, when I was in the 8th grade. 1988 to be exact. The year of the "gladiator shoe". I wore my pair with pride and I was stylin'.

That was also the year I thought anything my mother may have worn in the past was irrelevant since the style of "today" was what really mattered. I remember her commenting about a style here or there that was in vogue at the time that she had had "back in the day" and boy she wished she had held on to those "shoes", "skirt", "blouse", whatever. I also remember thinking that she was so old and not with it when she talked like that. Her generation could never have already been as cool and on the cutting edge as my generation with clothing, music, movies, whatever (let me say for the record that my mother is not old at all, still very stylish and probably reading this).

Fast forward to present day Metropolis. I opened a magazine today, spotted the exact same shoes I had in 1988 once again in vogue and said, "I had those shoes! I should have held on to them..."

No comments: