Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cause For Pause

I was at a friend's house last night chatting with her about K.Z.'s upcoming two hour doctor appointment when she asked me why it would be so long. Then I said the magic words, "Binocular Vision".

"Who is he going to see?" she inquired, and grimaced when I told her the doctor's name.

"We have been through that vision therapy program with him", was her reply and we got into a lengthy discussion about just how many people we knew that had their kids recommended for the same tests and process. Her insurance did not cover it and she spent $3000 in total and her daughter was none the better for it (she and K.Z. have the same reading issues). She did acknowledge that there had been a lot of people she knew that it was successful for, but the cookie cutter approach did not make sense to her.

So that gave me enough reason to slow way down with this process and wait for a few more months. With a new curriculum and a new set or specks, maybe that will be all K.Z. will need. Maybe not, but at least that will give me the time to get a second opinion.

Today I had my little man read two chapters to me of a book he has for school and he basically flew right through it. Maybe I just need to give him time to grow into his abilities.

No comments: