Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Being humbled

I have learned in my short 32 years that when you get too puffed up, something usually comes along to knock you down a peg or two and show you the "big scheme of things".

Today started off wonderfully and then K.Z. got frustrated with something and had a typical 6 year old meltdown. Me, deciding that the day was going to go certain way (and way too puffed up with self righteousness) did what all good moms are supposed to do and calmly explained that his attitude was inappropriate. He was not seeing it my way so I did the next best thing; I yelled at him. Looking back it was like a bully on the playground who thinks that being loud and scary will make him/her win the "battle".

More frustration, tears and yelling ensued from both players and then I banished him to his room for just about a day short of forever. While he was stewing in his room and I was stewing on the first floor, looking something like this...



...the phone rang. It was my dear friend "S" calling from New York needing an ear. She found out Monday that a very special family member had passed away from a brain aneurysm at the age of 35. Thirty five! He was a fit and healthy young man and is now gone. My frustrations with my son did not seem so crucial. After I hung up I decided that I needed to be the "adult" (after all I was the only legal adult in the house at the time, who better to take that role?) and go talk to him. We cleared the air and talked about what to do with anger and how to respond to it. I was the one needing to take the most copious notes on this subject.


1 comment:

Jamie said...

Hmmm....that sounds all too familiar. Sometimes I think I'm the one that throws more of a tantrum than my kids...